Wednesday, January 16, 2008

1960's and 1970's TV...

I was thinking about some of my favorite tv shows from when I was a child...when my dad was still alive and I would occasionally get to stay up a little later to watch something while sitting in his lap. Like Family Affair or Hazel or That Girl. How about Flipper, Rin Tin Tin, Lassie, Leave it to Beaver, Ozzie and Harriet, I Dream of Jeannie, Petticoat Junction, Beverly Hillbillies, Gomer Pyle, Andy What-was-His-Name?, Mr. Ed, F Troop, Hogan's Heroes.

Then later on, junior high-ish?, watching The Partridge Family and The Brady Bunch on Friday nights. Or Love: American Style, Laugh-In, All in the Family, The Jeffersons, Mary Tyler Moore, The (original) Bob Newhart Show, M*A*S*H, Happy Days.

I went to Amazon.com and checked out what is available now on DVD. At least a season or two is available for most of these shows! I was in heaven just looking around (while my coffee wears of so I can go to bed!).

Mind you, I already have 2 seasons of Bewitched--one of my old favorites and Munchkin even loves watching an episode with me now and then. In fact, when she was an infant, BikeBoy was away for a weekend visiting his terminally ill mom and Munchkin and I were both really sick. Nick-at-night was running all the episodes of Bewitched in order for an entire weekend. My sick little Munchkin and I snuggled practically all weekend on the couch, watching episode after episode of Bewitched. Even today, if I put in the DVD and she hears that theme song ("dah dum, dah dum, dah dah dah dah dah dum...") she comes running from the hinterlands to check it out! How funny that she remembers that!

And last weekend an old Lassie movie was on the TMC on cable and BikeBoy, Munchkin and I caught the last 30 minutes after coming home from the park. We all loved it! I forgot how much I loved that sweet show. TV back then was so different from current shows...so naive and protected. Maybe it brings back feelings in me of a time when I was naive and protected...especially those very early shows when my dad was alive and I had not a care in my tiny world. Then I remembered that, after he died, I watched Family Affair with a new mindset--that I was half an orphan and that I knew a little bit of how Buffy, Jody, and Cissy must have felt.

And, on that note...goodnight!

No comments: