Monday, May 21, 2007

Official Tap Recital!

It was such fun! Our families came for the last 15 min of classtime. When they arrived we were doing some improv stuff then we did our official routine...the shim sham (to "Flyin' Home" by Lionel Hampton) and we each had a 6 second solo. We had to make last minute changes to the routine because one gal couldn't make it (her husband had a shareholders' meeting to attend...bet you don't get that excuse when it's a little kids' tap dance recital!). It went well...I messed up one small part but BikeBoy wasn't looking at me at the time (phew!). Three of the husbands were there and there were 6 kids. The husbands were all videotaping! What a riot! I made BikeBoy take a picture of the 4 of us after it was over! And I found out there's a tap festival in Vancouver, BC in late August/early September. I would love to drive up and take a master class. AND, National Tap Dance Day is this Friday (to honor the birthday of Mr. Bojangles) so a local tap company in the city is having an informal show to celebrate that this Sunday (my teacher is in 4 numbers).

And, one more funny thing...my mom had been in town visiting the week before but wouldn't be here on recital night so she went to my tap class to watch us practice. At the end of the class my teacher went out to sit with Mom while we went through our routine one last time. After class, Mom and I are riding home and she says, "Your teacher told me that you are the most advanced student in the class!" LOL! This cracks me up because my 19 yo teacher, told my 81 yo mom that her 45 yo daughter is the best in the class! Bet mom wasn't expecting to hear that since I danced as a kid. And, truth-be-told, my feet are probably the best at doing the steps but I am not nearly the nicest one to watch--my upper body just isn't as graceful as the others in class but--hey, I'll take any compliment I can get! :)

No comments: