Sunday, January 13, 2008

Ethiopia is looking more and more promising...

BikeBoy and I have been talking a lot this week about the adoption of child #2. I think we will end up pursuing an older child (like maybe 4 years old, another girl) from Ethiopia. I am trying to do a bit of research while we wait (wait to decide if/when we're moving back East to help out my mom more; wait to decide to totally rule out our planned China adoption secondary to the 4-5 yr expected waits).

I have asked my friend B about her experiences due to my worries about safe travels in/out of Ethiopia. It's a little scary to me since the country is surrounded by other countries which are in turmoil...it is within 500 miles of Sudan, Somalia, Eritrea, Uganda and only a couple of thousand miles from Afganistan, Pakistan, Iraq, Iran... Not that 2K miles or even 500 miles is very close but it is close enough to be within the same country if we were here in the US, KWIM? And the fact that there doesn't seem to be a friendly border at all with Ethiopia (and no way out via water either) makes me a little claustrophobic.

At the same time, though, I am getting very interested in this beautiful country and it's people. I wish BikeBoy and Munchkin could go with me but--assuming we do continue with this process--it's doubtful that we can all go (too much money, too hard a trip for Munchkin, etc.). It will be weird to meet our new child by myself. I may see if one of my close cousins or friends can travel with me if we can't go as a family.

And, I need to familiarize myself with the adoption of older children and with the care of African hair! Munchkin's hair is so thick, straight and smooth...very different from my hair and very different from her future sister's hair! What a journey this may be! Please keep your fingers crossed. We probably will not make a firm decision until mid-2008.

1 comment:

Beth Gallagher said...

T
I'm totally thrilled that you are moving toward Ethiopia!!! I have tried like heck not to sway you, but must weigh in on the safety of travel. The country itself is strong, the US has quite a presence there especially in Addis where you would stay, and WH is ultra vigilant about the safety of the parents visiting. Quite honestly, I never felt in danger in either of my trips to Ethiopia. And, on the subject of traveling alone... please begin chatting with a friend on our little bb named Meg. She has been once already and is traveling by herself (leaving kids and hubbie at home) on the 25th of this month! I've mentioned you to her and hope that I can link you two up. Traveling groups are introduced before going and often groups are on the same planes! It's v v helpful to know your traveling mates early and creates friendships for the emotional time ahead. I would not have hesitated to travel alone to get Weyni had my sister not bullied her way in. haha I felt v watched over by the staff in Ethiopia (who have become good friends of ours!) and v comfortable in country. I also have a v close friend living in Addis and working for another agency in Addis that I would love to connect you with when you go. Let's talk! I'm home for a snow day today, so will try you later on.

xoxoxoxo
B