Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Punishment...

I was chatting w/my cousin tonight (while Munchkin wailed over the kid monitor upstairs, in a time out). D says she remembers she and her sister had to sit in a chair in a kind of time out once in a while. I do not remember being punished as a child. Am I blocking it out? I must've been naughty at times, right?

I remember getting yelled at once by my dad when I was playing in the kitchen w/our dog while Mom was cooking...Dad kept telling me to stop it or leave the room because I would get hurt. Sure enough, the oven door was open (we had an eye-level oven so the door was higher up than some)...I wasn't paying attention and backed into the oven door, burning my scapula. Dad yelled at me (must've been an "I told you that was gonna happen" type thing). And even though the burn blistered and hurt like heck I remember crying because he had yelled at me (he never yelled--I mean really *never* yelled).

The only other time I remember one of them mad at me was when I took a pack of Dad's Lucky Strikes and started tearing them up and throwing them into the trash. My mom was mad because she said that was the only enjoyment he had left in life and I shouldn't take them away from him. Of course, since he was lying in a rented hospital bed in our living room dying of lung cancer at the time, I guess it really didn't matter did it. Lucky Strikes a/k/a "Luckies." Funny name for tiny cigarettes that kill, isn't it?

1 comment:

Beth Gallagher said...

I don't think you're blocking it, T. Your parents were saints with the patience of Job! :) I imagine, with tragedy in one's young life, being punished for small infractions pale in memory comparison. I only remember getting punished once when I called my mom a bitch. I was 6. Don't have any idea where I heard it, as I don't even really swear now!

Now, how is D doing? Any results or comments or does she have to wait? I am praying hard and crossing everything.

xoxo
B