Saturday, November 04, 2006

OMG! I have found a pizza blog!!!

I was in heaven reading it tonight! This blog even includes PICTURES of pizzas the blogger eats. YUMMY. And he includes a link to his other website with a listing of best pizza places all around the country (to which I have already added 2 listings!!).

This after Munchkin and I tried a new pizza place today. I read reviews of it and they said it was deep dish similar to Pizzeria Uno/Due in Chicago (we used to frequent Due's when we lived there). I would definitely agree...most similar to PU that I've had outside Chicago. Chunks of tomato spread on top of cheese resting on a yummy crust. The crust wasn't exactly like PU's but the rest was bringing back memories. In fact, we ordered a small and I ate half of it there, brought two more pieces home and ate them before supper! Oooopppsss...so much for weightwatchers today. Well...heck...it was Halloween three days ago and I've been eating candy, too. Tomorrow???? Must reform. Must reform. Must reform... :)

Anyway, got me to thinking about my all-time fav pizza places and they are (in no particular order!):

~Pizzeria Due, Chicago, IL
~Ray's, The Village at 6th/11th in NYC (Over a 1/4 lb of cheese on every slice, stand at the counter and do some people-watching while you munch your slice...it's the Village...eventually the whole world will walk by)
~John's, on Bleeker in The Village, NYC
~Pine Lake Pizzeria, Sammamish, WA (the only one on this list I've never actually eaten AT...only delivery!)
~The Pizza Place, North Bend, WA (the one that is similar to PU/PD)
~Pizza Experience, Tacoma/Fife, WA
~The Pizza Joint, Portland, ME (when you get 'shrooms on your pie they are piled high like a mountain!)
~Bertucci's, Brookline Village, MA
~Dino's, Brookline Village, MA (they also have great Greek salads)
~Two-Fisted Mario's, in Denver, CO (Lodo)
~BeauJo's, Denver, CO (gotta love the extra thick edge of crust served with honey for dipping!)
~Katie Downs', Tacoma, WA (pizza is very good but the location, sitting on Commencement Bay, is even better...probably the prettiest location on this list)

And two which are, unfortunately, closed:
Al Capones in Kenmore Square, Boston, MA circa 1979
Alfieri's, Portland, ME circa 1985

And in 2003 (I think) I found out I could get two whole Ray's pizzas shipped overnight to BikeBoy (when we lived in Denver) for his birthday...in dry ice from NYC...for about $45 so I did it. Boy was it gooooooood. Of course, they stopped doing that so now we'll have to go there and get it ourselves but that's another story (not like I don't already have a gazillion reasons to go to NYC!).

If you didn't know that I was a pizza afficionado before--you do now!! Mmmmm...I'm hungry now! I think the best thing about pizza is that it is comfort food to me. There are two kinds of pizza: good pizza and great pizza. (okay...I confess...I lifted that from somewhere but I agree with it!) I've never had a bad slice. Pizza is so consistently good but varies so widely in flavor from place to place. And it's convenient...you can grab a slice on the run if you have to. What's not to like????

What are YOUR favorites?

No comments: