Thursday, October 04, 2007

Another butterfly death averted...

Last night I was rinsing the dishes and heard the desperate flap of butterfly wings. I looked over to the net and saw one of the 'flies was on his back, stuck to the bottom of the net (probably the sugar water had made the floor sticky). He was trying to right himself but was clearly utterly exhausted and unable to do it. His 4 friends looked on. So...I dropped a few dropperfuls of plain water near the edges of his wings and he loosened up a bit but was still unable to right himself. I found a long pair of chopsticks (the type used when cooking w/a wok) and held the tip of one just above his body. He wrapped his little butterfly legs around the tip and held on while I hoisted him up and set him gently down again atop a wadded tissue. It doesn't escape me how he seemed to know exactly how I was trying to help him and what to do. He looked relieved (really). So...he lives on for...what?...maybe another week or two?...but I'm happy about that anyway!

No comments: