Sunday, October 28, 2007

Ramblings on the Sox and Christianity...

Okay, so I am NOT a baseball fan. The game bores me unless I'm at the stadium in person and, even then, it kinda bores me. It's not exciting. It takes too long. The uniforms are un-cool. :) Whatever, JMHO. But, in the realm of professional baseball I do cheer on certain teams. My teams are: Red Sox, Yankees, Rockies, Cubbies, Mariners. They are all teams of cities/states where I have lived and I feel connected to them somehow.

So, this posed a dilemma this year...should I cheer on the Sox (top of my list as I am a native Mainer and have lived in Boston x3 plus my dad was a HUGE Red Sox fan)...or root for the Rockies (I lived in Colorado longer than the total time I ever lived in Boston, the Rockies are in their first World Series, BikeBoy and I were partial seasons tix holders one year when we lived within walking distance of Coors Field). I basically had decided to root for both by wishing for a 7-game series which resulted in Boston winning again (2nd time in 4 yrs...screw the curse!).

Then today I read a column on CNN that the Rockies are the most "faith"ful team in baseball. They have prayer calls over the phone, they pray before games, they are the only team to hire a full-time chaplain on staff, they had a "Faith Day" for their fans where Christian Rock bands were invited to play (blech!!). To each his own but that really turned me off a little. What about any team member who doesn't believe in God? Do they have to go along with this faith BS just because that's the way the rest of the team believes? I just thought it was weird...kinda like businesses which put the little Christian fish symbol on their signs or business cards, you know? As soon as I see that damned fish I run as fast as I can in another direction! LOL!

So, today I decided to just root for the Sox and they pulled it off tonight and I am very happy for them! Now...time to get on to one of the only real professional sports seasons...HOCKEY! :) Go Avs! Go Bruins! Go Rangers!

ETA: Okay...I just googled "Red Sox, Christianity" and found some articles on the 2005 team and how religious they all freakin' were! Crap. Baseball and religion. It sounds as bad as NASCAR now. Oh, well.

No comments: