Monday, June 09, 2008

Kids' music that doesn't suck...

I abhor kids' music which sounds like kids' music. So much of it sucks. It's just too cutesy and annoying to me. We have tried to introduce Munchkin to lots of different styles (rock, blues, jazz, classical, opera, an occasional foray into K-pop...). She likes a little of everything and has her favorites (Aerosmith!). But, when we are in the car we often listen to Kids' Stuff on Sirius. We have found some new favorites there and also on iTunes. Here are some of our current favs in no particular order:

  • Peter Himmelman: "Feet" and "My Green Kite"
  • Asylum Street Spankers: "You Only Love Me for My Lunchbox" (watch out, though, as these guys only have one family-friendly album out...lots of their other tunes have the "explicit lyrics" tag!)...this song is my current personal favorite as it has a very bluesy feel to it!
  • The Dream Jam Band: "Look Around"
  • Medeski, Martin & Wood: "Where's the Music?" and "Let's Go Everywhere"
  • The Sippy Cups: "Magic Toast" and "Use Your Words"
  • Brady Rymer: "Pie" and "Road Trip"...okay so "Pie" might be tied for my favorite! I love that song!
  • Uncle Rock: "I'm a Fire Engine"

We also love Ralph of Ralph's World--he puts on a rockin' show (really rock show-like). A local guy we love is Eric Ode--very family friendly songs and a very nice guy in person, too. Most of Laurie Berkner's music is fun even if it is sometimes too cutesy and lots of Dan Zanes' tunes are good, too (some are a little too folksy or sad sounding to me but there are others I love...like "Malti").

I even have a whole playlist on the iPod just for Munchkin's songs (and we listen to it together when we are on plane rides!). It's really quite enjoyable if you are picky about what you listen to!

No comments: