Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Last Day of Preschool...

Wow, how bittersweet is that? Weird that three years have flown by so quickly. Odd to feel so glad about not having to shell out our $600+/month for preschool and not having to deal with some issues which have developed at this school over time (minor but still concerning)...at the same time feeling sadness that it's "over"...that, come Fall, Munchkin will enter an entirely new building, meeting brand new friends, developing a trusting relationship with a totally new teacher, learning a new routine and new curriculum. Sadness that these teachers whom we have come to trust will no longer even be nearby to comfort Munchkin if she is scared or hurt. Sadness that the beloved Ms T will not be there.

It was such a special period of growth for Munchkin. Ms T and Ms R both told me today that there are some kids who just are "your favorites" and that Munchkin is one of theirs. Ms T has told me that since year #1 when she would send Munchkin home with a whole box of tissues under her arm...recognizing that Munchkin needed a transitional object long before I did. She said that in her 15+ yrs of teaching two kids are her very most special favorites--one of them is Munchkin. What a warm feeling. I cried hugging her goodbye today. I think even Munchkin "got it" when she was saying goodbye to everyone. I think she is full of excitement and anticipation for Kindergarten but will be nervous and timid and scared when the day comes. As will I.

This whole parenting thing just tears at my heartstrings.

No comments: